Xanthan Gum is an excellent, sugar based, natural thickener that stabilizes emulsions and cleansing systems.
Due to the sugar backbone, Xanthan Gum offers some skin hydration properties.
It produces a slightly cloudy product which does not affect your creams and lotions When you prefer a clear gel try our polymer powder
INCI: Xanthan Gum
- 0.3 to 2.0%
- a separate water phase
- incorporate with high shear mixing using a stick blender
- use care to not use too much as it will get stringy
- avoid pH systems over 11. because they will turn yellow, excellent for low pH systems
- salt may be used to improve the viscosity response and reduce temperature sensitivity
- hydrate in room temperature water for approximately 15 minutes, then proceed to heat
- for best results start at 0.3% and increase in 0.1% increments to avoid an unpleasant slimy texture.
- viscosity is between (1% solution) 1200 - 1700 cps
- Use a preservative in your formulations
||Light Beige Free Flowing Powder
||Tightly Sealed, Cool > 75F / Dry
||60 Months when Properly Stored / Handled
*A stick blender mixing will reduce the tendency of the particles to contact and stick, to each other. If this happens the result will be that the outside swells and prevents water from getting to the inside resulting in swollen clumps, also referred to as 'fish eyes'. This is, sometimes, irreversible so, care should be taken to use the highest shear possible.