Carbopol 940 is a ph-sensitive gelling thickener useful for formulating crystal clear gels as well as stabilizing emulsions. It is very versatile and safe.
It is a cross-linked polyacrylate polymer, that is a very efficient thickener, rheology modifier, providing high viscosity and clear water or hydroalcoholic for making a variety of gels and creams.
1. Hydrating the Carbopol : As with gums, Carbopol 940 should be put into a dry container to which the amount of room temperature distilled/deionized water, in your formula, will be added. It should then be allowed to swell/hydrate. The pH of the Carbopol gel will be about 3.3 prior to neutralization (see 4).
2. When it is fully hydrated, and IF the formula does not contain ingredients that may have compatibility issues with Carbopol (see 3), then incorporate the remaining aqueous ingredients and heat if necessary. Incorporate other phases if applicable.
3.Compatibility: Carbopol 940 is anionic, and therefore may experience compatibility problems with any cationic material. Sodium (salt) may have a negative effect on the viscosity of Carbopol 940 products. To minimize these negative effects, neutralize(see 4) Carbopol gel before adding in the other phases/ingredients.
4. Neutralization: Preferably, neutralization would take place at the end of formulation.This would be the instruction in all cases except as mentioned in (3). This is preferable because the Carbopol will not fully thicken the product until you raise the pH. This makes the formulation easier to work with.
Test the pH of the formulation with your pH meter. Then add neutralizing agent until a pH of 5.5-7 (depending on preference) is achieved.
Other neutralizing ingredients (in ratio):.
- NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide): Begin with Caustic Soda Pearls and make a 25% solution with distilled water. Of this solution, you would generally use 2 parts NaOH to every 1 part Carbopol 940.
- KOH (Potassium Hydroxide): Begin with Potassium Hydroxide and make a 25%solution with distilled water. Of this solution, you would generally use 2 parts KOH to every 1 part Carbopol 940.
The properties of Carbopol 940 type polymer short flow (non-drip) are great for applications where you are making clear gels, hydro alcoholic gels, creams.
Features and Benefits :
- Short flow properties
- High suspending ability
- High viscosity
- High clarity
- Hair styling gels
- Hydro alcoholic gels
- Moisturizing gels
- Bath gels
- Hand, body, and face lotions
- Creams typical usage is 0.1 to 1.5 % depending on the thickness desired.
Animal Testing: Not animal tested
GMO: GMO-free (does not contain plant-derived components)
Vegan: Does not contain animal-derived components